Clexane, Clots and Birthing plans:

It was last saturday, I had a problem when I gave myself my Clexane injection into my left thigh, it was extremely painful and abmormal. I had administered it more than 14 times and never had any problems, I phoned urgent care centre as there was a lump present too and my mam was concerned. (My midwife's phone was switched off).

Having told them I was under the care of my parents and at their home and having phoned from a different landline number to mine, I was waiting for her to call me back to state whether or not I could have a home visit. I had told her I was pregnant and had SPD.

She sent two standard nurses to my home address whom woke up my husband who had been on a nightshift. He was scared hoping I was ok. I assured him I was just getting a check up and some advice as to where to inject 'tomorrow' etc. He gave them my parents address.

2 hours later I had heard nothing so phoned urgent care who said abrubtly and impatiently that they had passed it over to the nurses in my area and they are very busy, and there was not really any allowances for questioning so I just said thanks as the call was terminated.

A staff nurse turned up about an hour after that and said she couldn't help me at all and thought I needed a dressing, she didn't understand why a midwife had not been sent out.

She said that I needed to go to urgent care to be seen, my parents luckily were able to take me.

The receptionists were fantastic and sent me to the day assessment maternity unit. The lady midwife there not only helped me with the Clexane but advised me on many other things.

She spent ages going through things and reassuring me about things and confirmed that the tender lump was normal (a lady Dr was present too that was describing clexane side effects too) and that it is nothing to worry about.

They advised me to go organise a visit not on a sunday as is usual, but on a less busy day mid week or something to see if i can get in and out of the birthing pool, ( hoist may be needed ) and she discussed the risks of normal births (out of question) and caeserians which can cause DVT and I would be a high risk patient.

So I need to speak with my midwife and consultant now.

A pleasant experience in the end and I cannot fault the hospital this time, it was fantastic and has restored my faith in giving birth there.


Popular posts from this blog

Life is complicated and definitely for living:

Keeping busy and trying to focus on my business:

Sad times at the RVI.