Interviews, job roles and disabilities:




The feedback I got from my job interview came through. They said that I didn't talk about my adsl call center role enough or how I did the job, I did mention I was really good so I was one of only a few that had to handle FOUR categories instead of ONE. 


I had a couple of months to sell ad space for a marketing company and I did it within two weeks, which I also mentioned.


The four job roles I had to execute instead of just one were:


Retentions, sales, customer services and switchboard.


I talked about customer support and resolving issues and how I matched products to the customers based on their interests and needs.


I could have talked about targets more but I always reached any targets and I thought that was obvious with me being one of a few (handful) that ended up doing FOUR times the work. Lol.


We never knew which call was going to come in, and had to see which of the four it was because only a few of us could handle such an amount of callers, nevermind four different sections of callers.


I have worked for DCC before (albeit as a temp) so I know what they offer like all councils and they said I needed a better idea of what they do but they never asked me to expand on that and I could have gone through water rates to council tax to even adult social services because they do a lot and being neurodivergent I didn't know what segment of it they wanted to even discuss.


There's so much they do and I didn't know where to start. They could have asked me to expand and I'd have been comfortable to.


I appreciate the feedback but frankly I feel I aced the interview and covered all of the areas (not bigging myself up just know my skills levels) and I understand that it makes business sense to hire someone that can start right away and not need to implement all the extra support for a disability, plus job share, plus access to work transportation etc.


The information about DCC website is also very easy to learn so I don't feel that's what didn't get me the job.


I had a sole tradership which implements ALL areas of ANY job or career so I demonstrated I could do the 'little' asked of me for the position they offered.


I also mentioned how happy I was that they were disability friendly to several professionals that are involved in hiring and support for the disabled and their reactions were negative to that, that indicated in itself I didn't really have a chance or they have some negative experiences they didn't speak on, and to be honest unless you're going to be made a case example of how a company is 'disability friendly' then for places like that you don't really have much luck and that's just reality.


I got hired straight away before when I wasn't disabled. 


Statistics don't lie.


"it would have been useful for you to tell us more about how you carried out this role, including any targets and demands you had to meet as part of delivering telephony support. These targets could have been related to your performance, such as average handling time, quality checks etc; but also service specific, for example promotion of digital services throughout your contacts."


I thought I covered that and I don't have the specific data for it as I did it over 15 years ago and my handling time was quick as I HAD to be to be able to manage the FOUR job roles instead of the ONE whilst typing information rapidly on four separate screens (per call) whilst taking the calls.


I personally didn't expect them to have any part time positions and I told them I'd come anyway because I know my skills and I'd like to find something where I can put these skills to good use.


I went for experience with interviews already expecting to be overlooked regarding skills.


They said if I was accepted I'd have to job share so that seemed like something else that would need to be done that complicated things.


I'm happy for the interview experience and the feedback and I personally agree with them because I don't feel I'm a good fit for their company because of all the things that would need to be done IF I had been successful. 


They were not as eager as other places to hire disabled individuals and that did reflect in the interview as I was also reviewing and interviewing them to see if it would be a good fit for me. 


(This isn't an ego thing it's something I recommend everyone do because you're the one that has to work there if accepted and you need to get a feel for the people and company and job role to see if it's suitable for YOU just as much as they have to see if you're suitable.)


The other job roles needed a car / transport so that was a no go for me.


This other place seems a better fit for me because I'm not a normie and I am smart and eccentric with a hellova lot of experience and skills, and they already have a LOT more support available for disability hiring than what the council had, plus a more positive attitude towards disability.


It seems easier to set up and they seemed more respectful and open about disability and offered willingly a lot more support and voiced the support happily, they seemed proud that they offered all of that as opposed to 'we're saying we offer this because we have to have a basic support package per the discrimination laws', from me having to ask.


I can also wear more comfortable clothes and they have a LOT more to offer me as a disabled individual and seem keen to involve the disabled when it comes to hiring. That is why I have mad respect for recruiter number 2 over recruiter number 1.


I am just waiting for my face to face interview and I know I have the experience and skills to successfully do the job at hand so I'm all ready and eager to get started.


They also have a lot more open positions so it's statistically higher for the possibility of a disabled hire, versus other companies/organisations.


*Fingers crossed* I get a position with the more disability - friendly company, but I genuinely believe that what's meant for you will find you, and if you don't try you'll never know!


-S. Xx


Kawaii Doll Decora 🩷


#blog #disabilityawareness #disabilityinclusion #disabilitysupport #disabilityadvocate #neurodivergent #skills #disabilityfriendly 


Popular posts from this blog

It's a slap in the face for the disabled...

More negative affiliations:

Sad times at the RVI.