Why don't you just get paid work:
“Why don’t you just get paid work?”
Ah yes… because apparently nobody facing disability, inaccessible workplaces or discrimination has ever thought of that one before. 🤣
This is exactly why I talk about systemic ableism.
The assumption that someone who isn’t in conventional paid employment simply isn’t trying completely ignores the barriers disabled people can face when trying to access, remain in, or create sustainable work.
I am trying to build paid work for myself. I create, advocate, support people, develop projects and work towards making what I do financially sustainable.
The issue isn’t a lack of effort.
It’s the confidence some people have in judging a life they haven’t taken five minutes to understand.
Ask questions. Have a different perspective. Discuss difficult subjects.
But assumptions aren’t facts — and “just get a job” isn’t a solution to systemic barriers. 💪🏻✨
#DisabilityAdvocacy #Ableism #SystemicAbleism #DisabledAndWorking #DisabilityAwareness #AccessibilityMatters #InvisibleBarriers #DisabilityRights #SelfEmployment #SoleTrader #Advocacy #ChallengeAbleism #NothingAboutUsWithoutUs #SarahWingfield
Alt text:
Colourful graphic with a blurred pink, purple, teal and gold sparkling background. A large black panel contains white text beginning, “Why don’t you just get paid work?” followed by a response about systemic ableism, inaccessible workplaces, discrimination and trying to build paid work independently. The final line reads, “The problem isn’t a lack of effort. It’s people confusing their lack of understanding with a lack of reality.” At the bottom is a bright pink Sarah Wingfield signature logo with the words “Actress | Author | Advocate” and “KawaiiDollDecora.uk.”
