I Emailed the Prime Minister to Demand Action on Systemic Ableism:
I Emailed the Prime Minister to Demand Action on Systemic Ableism
I emailed our Prime Minister because I can already see disabled people being targeted.
Our community deserves to be supported—not blamed, punished or harmed further. Disabled people face entrenched barriers in employment, higher living costs and persistent discrimination, yet public debate too often treats us as the problem.
This is what I sent:
"Dear Prime Minister,
I am writing to urge your government to take meaningful action against systemic ableism and create stronger incentives for employers to recruit, retain and promote disabled people.
Disabled people continue to encounter significant barriers to employment, including inaccessible recruitment processes, discrimination, inadequate workplace adjustments and assumptions about our abilities. Even when disabled people secure paid employment, many experience lower pay and fewer opportunities for progression.
Disability also brings substantial additional living costs. Public debate too often focuses on blaming disabled benefit claimants for wider economic problems, rather than addressing inaccessible workplaces, insecure employment, inadequate wages and failures within the benefits system itself.
Many disabled people contribute to society through paid employment, unpaid caring, volunteering, advocacy and community work. This contribution deserves recognition—not suspicion or hostility.
I ask your government to consider:
• Financial incentives for employers that recruit disabled people into secure, fairly paid roles, particularly employers offering long-term career development.
• Stronger enforcement of the Equality Act and meaningful consequences for employers that repeatedly fail to provide reasonable adjustments.
• Reform of Access to Work so that support is available quickly and reliably from the beginning of a person’s employment.
• Mandatory disability inclusion, accessibility and anti-ableism training for managers and recruitment teams.
• Greater transparency on disability pay, recruitment, retention and promotion gaps within large organisations.
• Support for flexible, remote and hybrid employment without treating these arrangements as reasons to reduce pay or career opportunities.
• Policies developed directly with disabled people and disability-led organisations under the principle “Nothing about us without us.”
Disabled people are not responsible for wages failing to keep pace with the modern cost of living, nor should we be used as scapegoats for failures in government administration or economic policy.
Your government has an opportunity to replace suspicion with inclusion and turn disability employment commitments into measurable change. I would welcome a response outlining the specific steps your administration will take to tackle systemic ableism and incentivise the employment of disabled people.
Sincerely,
Sarah Wingfield ❤️
Actor • Author • Advocate
KawaiiDollDecora.uk"
I hope he listens to disabled constituents.
We are not statistics to be manipulated, costs to be cut or convenient scapegoats for wider political and economic failures. We are workers, carers, creatives, volunteers, business owners, advocates and members of our communities.
Policies affecting disabled people must be created with us—not merely imposed upon us.
Nothing about us without us.
Alt text:
Screenshot of an email sent by Sarah to the Prime Minister with the subject line, “Urgent action needed to tackle systemic ableism and improve disabled employment.” The visible opening asks the government to challenge systemic ableism, incentivise disabled employment and address inaccessible recruitment, discrimination, inadequate workplace adjustments, lower pay and limited career progression.
#DisabilityRights #DisabilityInclusion #SystemicAbleism #EndAbleism #DisabledEmployment #DisabilityPayGap #AccessToWork #ReasonableAdjustments #InclusiveEmployment #DisabilityAdvocacy #NothingAboutUsWithoutUs #DisabilityAwareness #DisabilitySupport #StrongerTogether #UKPolitics
